Monday, January 01, 2007

JOURNAL: gregorian new year 2007

Lords, ladies and gentlefolk, a new year by any other name is more of the same, time being elliptical and each event being somewhere connected to every other event in time-space. I sit at my kitchen table, looking out of a lead panelled window with new vitraux courtesy of a kind aunt and of a former love, who together set off a chain of events leading to my trying a new leisure interest. Winter is a good time of year to expand skills as long as it doesnt require stepping out of doors too often.

I think that in the distance to the right of my door there must be a city, for at midnight the far glimmer of fireworks interfered with the light of the near-full moon. The beech tree in my front garden awoke and its leaves shimmered and shook. I suspect it is home to a dryad who is as shy as any other of the tree spirits. I must think of a gift to introduce myself to her or him.

I smell the lavender oil in the wax that the kitchen table has been polished with. A lit white candle brings gentle light which highlights the shades of the newly painted glass panes. I wonder where my beloved has strayed, no message in so long, only dreams which speak of presence and also of absence that continues for too long. What holds her away for so long, I dont know but soon may,when the winds turn and a gentler time arrives. Sometimes though it is the storm which brings news when someone has gone too far or too long. Whichever, I wish her home soon even if for a few nights, to warm this winter which brings in early nights and cold awakenings. So many additions to welcome her home and the light over the door nightly lit may guide her here.

No comments:

The still room

No, not a room which doesn't roam, nor usually a silent room. Mrs Beeton would have known at once not only what kind of room it is, al...