Monday, January 01, 2007

Poem: the ancestors

Forests with dew and deep green trees
scent of earth newly washed by rain
sitting, we two, on ground new to us
our eyes locked into the past
your beloved shape shimmers and changes
eyes become deeper, brow thicker
shape of bone, shade of skin
even the very smell of you
change until another man is before me
the ancestor within you, the soul
whose body was stolen by the enemy
greets me with a look that would chill the bone
if he did not know me or deemed me enemy or unworthy

My eye stands the gaze that sears
my soul opens with nothing to hide
and nowhere to hide it
the silent exchange begins, your ancestor greets me
and my ancestor awakens to the greeting
the me now and the you then and the me then
only the you now is strangely absent or perhaps dormant
the weak link that we must stregthen least the enemy triumph again

(weeks later, triumph he did)

No comments:

The still room

No, not a room which doesn't roam, nor usually a silent room. Mrs Beeton would have known at once not only what kind of room it is, al...